Whether you’re stuck inside during the hurricane with nothing to do but drink (and “work from home”), or just happen to have a whole bunch of empty bottles, you can make these easy projects even if the power goes out.
1. Decorate a bottle with washi tape to make a pretty, easy vase:
2. Wrap them in twine or yarn:
3. Make a lamp:
4. Decorate for Halloween:
5. Use Sharpie:
6. Use newspaper to make a bouquet of flowers that will never die.
Cut a rectangular piece of newspaper that’s about twice as long as the bottle. Wrap and secure around the bottle and cut the remaining newspaper at the top into strips around 1 1/2 inches wide. Run the edge of a scissor blade firmly but gently along each strip in order to curl it. Acknowledge that you’ve gone a little insane if you’re already attempting to recreate living things out of your own garbage.
7. Remove the necks entirely to make tumblers:
This project definitely requires sanding down the cut edges with an emery board or sandpaper, since you’ll presumably be bringing them near your face.
8. You have wine. You have candles. Voilá, you have art.
9. Coasters! So you can drink more drinks:
10. Or use spools of thread:
11. Don’t forget to remind the people you love that you love them!
And nothing says “I love you” like a gigantic heart made from remnants of all the booze you’ve consumed together. Just like the above project, start from the bottom and work your way up in rows.
12. Once you’ve figured out how to cut bottles safely, experiment with the angle: