As the weather gets cooler I start enjoying my hot beverages (mostly tea) even more.
Treats like this tea cake is such a wonderful accompaniment to teas and coffees, Just a slice of this slightly tangy and flavored with almond cake will make your beautiful fall evening even better. Make it over the weekend and pack it for work to get the energy and warmth while you sit in front of your computer doing work.
I took the leftover (about 1/2 of the cake) to work to share with my coworkers, and it was gone within minutes. Another test that this cakes passed was that my husband liked it and he doesn’t like anything that doesn’t have chocolate in it. We are talking hard core chocoholic!
The cake gets a nice tang from the yogurt and lemon zest which is balanced with apples. The almond meal makes the cake rich and the slivered almonds on the top add a great texture. Since there is a good cup of yogurt in this recipe the amount of butter that goes in it is relatively pretty less. SO this cake is somewhat on the healthier side. Serve it with fresh fruit to make it more interesting…red grapes tasted pretty good with it. Try this recipe and let me know if you like it.
This recipe is based on this Yogurt Cake With Fruit And Almonds
Serving 8 slices
cooking time 15 minutes plus 40 minutes for baking
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup almond meal ( ground almonds)
1 cup sugar
1 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup butter (room temperature)
zest of one lemon
1/2 apple, peeled and finely chopped
slivered almonds to cover the top of the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Oil and dust a round 9 inch cake pan and keep aside.
- In a bowl mix flour and baking powder & keep aside.
- In a large bowl cream together butter and sugar till the mixture becomes pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one while continuing to whisk the mixture.
- Add yogurt & lemon zest and mix till well incorporated.
- Fold in the flour and almond meal & apple just till the batter comes together. Do not over mix at all.
- Pour into the baking pan and cover the surface with slivered almonds.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or a sewer comes out clean upon inserting into the center of the cake.
- Cool the cake for 10 minutes in the pan.
- Transfer on a wire rack and drizzle with glaze once its a little cool. Cool completely before serving.
For the glaze
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
juice of half lemon
a few tsp of milk
In a bowl add all the ingredients and mix to form a lump free glaze.